“Uhhh .. it’s different for each prospect ..”
In talking with hundreds of founders, freelancers, and entrepreneurs – this seems to be the most common answer when I ask what their typical sales process is.
In other words, they’re just winging it.
The survival and growth of your business is dependent on your ability to convert cold prospects into cash in your pocket.
Yes .. referrals and inbound leads are great .. but can you afford to twiddle your thumbs, waiting for those to come in?
I’m guessing not 🙂
For nearly 2 years I made the same mistake of winging it.
I would get on a call, not really knowing where I was going with it, and the prospect would end up leading.
My sales suffered massively as a result.
It wasn’t until I mapped out a predictable sales process that I started to get traction and momentum closing deals.
What you’re about to read below is the 3-step deadly effective sales process we used to take 41 prospects from ice cold stranger to paying customer with our Productized Service (GrowthResponse.io) in 2018.
Step 1: Generate leads and appointments with Outbound Prospecting
Outbound prospecting is the act of identifying your ideal target customers and directly reaching out to drum up interest for your solution.
The most common channels for doing this are:
- Phone (cold-calling)
- Cold email
- LinkedIn direct outreach
- Facebook messenger outreach
What you’ll be doing with these channels is testing your value proposition against your market to validate your offer and gauge interest.
If you’re selling Facebook Ads for eCommerce stores and prospecting on LinkedIn, you might say something along the lines of ..
“Hey Sean .. I noticed you run an eCommerce store and thought I’d reach out.
My company, X, specializes in helping eCommerce stores like yours to generate more sales using Facebook Ads.
Here’s a [case study/article/video/etc] on how we’ve helped [other similar clients] to [get result/solve problem].
Would you be interested in a quick call to see if there’s any way we could help you?”
Important note to remember: the goal of this is to start a conversation and get an appointment .. NOT to get a sale right away.
Once a prospect responds with interest, you want to book time with them for a 15-20min discovery call.
At GrowthResponse.io, we used LinkedIn alone sending messages like these to get to $20k/mo in just 3 months.
Get your messaging and offer right, master 1-2 of these outbound prospecting channels, and you’ll never have a short supply of leads again.
Step 2: Qualify the prospect on a Discovery Call
There are 4 main questions you are trying to answer on the discovery call.
- What is their current situation (i.e. problems/pain points)?
- What is their desired situation (i.e. goals)?
- Can your service help them bridge the gap between their current situation and desired situation?
- Does the prospect have the budget and need to solve their problem now?
Step 3: The Demo + Close
1. Introduce your offer
- Give it a name
- “Today we’ll be demoing our Sales Acceleration Program”
2. Discuss the big goal
- Talk about the biggest goals/objectives of the service
- Paint a mental picture by future-pacing
- “The goal of this program is to help you generate qualified leads and appointments of Shopify users who want to prevent bot fraud using your SaaS. We want to help you get 20 more appointments a month so that you can hit your monthly revenue target of $xx,xxx in the next 3-6 months.”
3. Twist the knife
- Dig into the 3 biggest pain points of your prospect that can be solved with your Productized Service
- “As discussed on our last call, your current strategy of referrals and networking events is not setting you up to reach your goals. You have 1) no predictable lead gen system in place, 2) a lack of quality conversations with your ideal customers, and 3) losing high-value opportunities to your competitors who have an outbound prospecting strategy in place
4. Demo not tour
- Demo how your Productized Service works
- Only show features that are relevant to the prospect
- Map each feature back to the benefit that solves the pain
- [Pain] – Not generating enough leads and customers
- [Feature] – “This is where we optimize your LinkedIn headline and profile summary.”
- [Benefit] – “By doing this, you transform your profile from a resume into a high-converting sales letter designed to attract and convert your highest value customers
5. Seal the deal
- Recap the solution + past results
- “You get everything discussed today, as well as unlimited support and one monthly strategy call to ensure your success ..”
- Our goal is to make this FREE for you where it pays for itself. We’ve helped companies like [show case study] to get similar results ..”
- Compare to their alternatives
- “The salary to hire a sales rep in-house would be $3,000/mo, not including training, office equipment, and commission costs ..”
- Give price
- “For our Sales Acceleration Program, we only charge $1,500/mo for our Basic plan, and $2,000 for our Pro plan ..”
- Give incentive to start now
- “We normally charge a $500 scripting and strategy setup fee on top of that, but if you get started with us today we’ll waive that fee ..”
- Ask for the sale
- “So what do you say [name].. do you want to give this a shot?”